Saturday, October 9, 2010

Rule of Three

It so happened that in one week's span - Sunday to Saturday, I met three different guys.

I use the term guy loosely, they were all men, two my age and in one case, older.

Not from a generation that's used to dating, it's taken me a while to respond to friendly overtures from the opposite sex and compared to women today, am still comparatively conservative. Why? Because a one night stand holds no appeal for me. Wait, unless we're talking about Johnny Depp or Russell Brand. 

It was a great week, as I love meeting new people, but any romantic hopes I had, I know I'll have to quash.

Spent a day meandering through South Mumbai looking for books with a really nice guy. Had some 'firsts' to that day. Not in the way you're thinking of - please get your mind out of the gutter. It was a sweet day and our walk through rain and mist, spotting rainbows and silver linings seemed almost cliched.

So did anything happen? Only, that he made a point of mentioning that he's a sworn bachelor, perhaps to ensure I wouldn't create a romance out of thin air. He remains a friend.

The second, I happened to meet over dinner. We were acquaintances, and had met only once previously, in relation to work rather than anything else. That first time, and even now, I felt older, in terms of maturity, though this was a great guy too. He was just out of a long relationship and from what I could tell, still hung up on his ex. He would've been keen on a relationship - but with no strings attached. And I know I am not wired that way. Not at this stage of life.

The third was a friend of some of my friends and I met him at their place. He was older by quite a few years, but surprisingly, it didn't matter - because he was charismatic, attractive and spoke charmingly. The problem? Indian women don't attract him. He loves anything in skirts as long as she's white. Paradoxically, too many Indian men are fixated on white skin. It struck me that at his age, being never married was nothing if not a confirmation of his bachelorhood. Apparently he does intend to settle down, but I have my doubts. I know he won't, not with an Indian woman - unless she's a stunner. Think Bollywood.

So here was a bachelor who wanted to remain one forever, another who wanted to remain so for the next four years and a confirmed bachelor who didn't know it just yet.

With that kind of luck, any wonder, am still single?

Matrimonal sites, here I come. (Gag!)

No comments: